Drinking Water & Well FAQs
- I need to have a well drilled on my property, where do I begin?
- What is the application process?
Please review our well application process steps infographic.
- How can I test my water samples?
You can find a state-approved lab on the Department of Ecology’s website.
- Where can I find a licensed well driller?
You can find a licensed well driller using the Department of Ecology licensed driller search site.
- Where do I look for abandoned wells?
Abandoned wells may be found in old pump houses, storage sheds, old, detached garages, or small building structures. Hand dug wells can often be found in lowland areas near surface water.
- What do I do if there is an abandoned well on my property?
If you have an abandoned well that is no longer in use, it is a safety concern, and you are required to decommission it. You will need to contact the Department of Ecology and a licensed well driller to do this.