Birth & Death Certificates
During the response to COVID-19, Snohomish Health District Vital Records office in-person service will be closed until further notice. You can still access services through mail or our contracted vendor VitalChek for internet services until the service cutoffs listed above. If you have questions, you can call our office at 425-339-5290 during business hours 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m pacific standard time.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Effective JANUARY 1, 2021 Washington state is now a closed record state and a new VITAL RECORDS LAW AND RULES GO INTO EFFECT THAT CHANGES THE ORDERING REQUIREMENTS FOR BIRTH AND DEATH CERTIFICATES.
- For increased security of personal information, only individuals with specific relationships to the person on the record being requested can receive a certificate.
- Qualified applicants will be required to provide identification and proof of eligibility documentation.
- Certificate fee will increase to $25.00/per copy. Additional processing fees apply.
The Department of Health has published a Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) webpage to assist everyone in better understanding what the new requirements are for ordering birth and death certificates. The FAQ webpage contains information about who can, and how to, order birth and death certificates.
The Snohomish Health District can provide you with vital records, specifically birth and death certificates.
Birth and death certificates may be requested in person at our Everett location, 3020 Rucker Ave. The service counter is located on the first floor in suite 104. It opens at 8 a.m. most weekdays, and 9:30 a.m. on the first and third Thursdays of each month.
To allow enough time to process your request, please arrive no later than 4 p.m. and fill out an order form. For in-person orders, certificates are available for pick-up right away once you’ve submitted your form and paid the fee.
Certificates also can be requested by mail or online.
Go to VitalChek to order a birth or death certificate online.
You can expect to receive your certificate in approximately 2 to 3 business days. UPS delivery is available at an additional cost.
Effective January 1, 2021, certificate fee will be $25 per copy. Additional identity verification and record retention fee of $13.50 will apply.
Proof of eligibility and identity documentation will be required. Fees are nonrefundable. Mail-in orders are payable by money order or cashier’s check. Additional fees apply for online orders.
To learn more about
- what information you need to provide to get a birth or death certificate,
- making corrections to a birth or death certificate, or
- who we can provide birth and death certificates for,