Promoting the safe storage of firearms. For statistics and information on firearms in our community, please see the firearms fact sheet (last updated 2023).
What you can do to prevent gun violence
- Safely store your firearms. Find out the best way to lock up your guns and where you can purchase safe storage devices.
- Talk to family and friends about safe storage. Asking if guns are safely stored may save lives.
- Know the warning signs of suicide. Understand the risk of having an unlocked gun accessible to an at-risk individual and remove access.
Welcome to LOK-IT-UP
Our mission is to promote the safety of our communities through increasing safe storage of firearms. Here you will find information on:
- The importance of safe storage of firearms
- Safe storage device options
- How to practice safe storage in the home
- How to encourage the practice of safe storage in others
Did you know?
- In the United States, 38,658 people died in 2016 as a result of firearms. Of these firearm deaths, 59% were suicides (22,938 died) and 37% (14,415 died) were homicides.
- In Washington State, 20 children (age 17 or younger) died as a result of firearms in 2016. This is the equivalent of a child or teen being killed by gunfire every 18 days. An additional 30 children were hospitalized statewide. In Snohomish County, zero children died as a result of guns in 2016. Eight children were hospitalized in Snohomish County during this period.
- In 2016, an estimated 95,300 adults in Snohomish County reported keeping a firearm unlocked.
- The majority of gun deaths in the US were suicides and homicides. Of the 36,247 deaths nationally attributed to firearms in 2015, 75 percent were suicides.