Novel Coronavirus 2019
This is an evolving situation. This page will be updated as more information is available.
A confirmed case of novel coronavirus 2019 in Snohomish County was announced January 21, 2020. The patient had recently traveled to Wuhan, China.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is closely monitoring an outbreak caused by the novel (new) coronavirus, which was first identified in December 2019 in Wuhan City, Hubei Province, China. More cases have since been confirmed in the U.S., as well as in other countries.
Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses, some of which pass from human to human and others among animals. In rare cases, animal coronaviruses can evolve and infect people. This virus causes fever and respiratory illness.
We are still learning about this virus. The immediate threat to the general American public is considered low.
The Snohomish Health District, Washington State Department of Health, CDC, and local partners are working together to respond.
“No one wants to be the first in the nation in these types of situations, but these are the types of situations that public health and its partners train and prepare for," said Dr. Chris Spitters, interim health officer for the Snohomish Health District. "Because of this, everything has been going along quite smoothly.”
- Guidance for schools
- Information for child cares and preschools
- Guidance for food workers
- Health alerts for medical providers
- Guidance for businesses and employers (CDC)
- Quarantine guidance (DOH)
- CDC Travel Advisories
- Anti-stigma resources (Public Health-Seattle & King County)
- 2019 Novel Coronavirus, Wuhan, China (CDC)
- Novel coronavirus outbreak 2020 (DOH)
- Blog: Responses to common questions about coronavirus
- Press conferences
- Press releases:
- Case of 2019 coronavirus confirmed in Washington state resident
- Update on response to 2019 novel coronavirus in Washington state
- Update on statewide response to 2019 novel coronavirus: contact investigation continues
- Update on statewide response to 2019 novel coronavirus (Jan. 27, 2020)
- Washington State Stands Ready to Isolate and Quarantine Travelers from China
- Area near Shoreline public health lab identified as possible quarantine location for healthy travelers
- Public Health Insider: