Birth Certificates

Obtaining a Birth Certificate

It's easy to get a birth certificate in Snohomish County, even if you weren't born here. The Snohomish Health District’s Vital Records office can provide official copies of birth certificates for anyone born in Washington State from 1907 to the present. Snohomish County residents can visit us in Everett to get a birth certificate.

Cost of Birth Certificates

$20, payable in-person by cash, check, debit card, or credit card. There is an additional fee for online orders.

There is an $8 charge for records that are searched for and not found as allowed under state law.

Information Required for a Birth Certificate

  • Name of child
  • Child’s birth date
  • City of birth
  • Father’s full name
  • Mother’s full maiden name

Order a Birth Certificate

By Mail

Send a completed birth certificate order form with a check or money order payable to SHD or Snohomish Health District to:
Vital Records
3020 Rucker Avenue
Suite 104
Everett, WA 98201


Snohomish Health District allows you to place birth certificate orders online. The regular processing time is three business days plus mail time.

Online - VitalChek

Go to VitalChek to order a birth certificate online with a credit card. There is a credit card processing fee of $13.50.

You can expect to receive your birth certificate in approximately 2 to 3 business days. UPS delivery is available at an additional cost.

In Person

Visit the Snohomish Health District, where you can fill out the birth certificate order form, pay the required fee (cash, check, credit and debit cards are accepted), and pick up your birth certificate immediately.
Vital Records
3020 Rucker Avenue
Suite 104
Everett, WA 98201

Issuing hours are 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. Please arrive no later than 4 p.m. to begin the birth certificate process.

Make Corrections To a Birth Certificate

To make a correction on a birth certificate, an Affidavit for Correction form is needed. Complete and send to the Olympia address listed in the upper right corner of the affidavit and provide documents of proof specified on form (if needed).

Affidavit for Correction in Spanish (Declaración Jurada de Corrección (Español)


An Acknowledgment of Parentage (AOP) form is a legal form that establishes a parent - child relationship or "parentage." By filing this form, you add a second parent to a child's birth certificate.

If parents are not married to each other at the time of birth, a pending status is placed on the birth certificate until the acknowledgment of parentage form is received and second parent's name is added by Washington State Center for Health Statistics, or 4 to 6 weeks, after which time the certificate is released without the second parent's name.

If  you have any questions about processing the Acknowledgment of Parentage form, contact the Washington State Center for Health Statistics at 360-236-4300, toll free 1-800-525-0127.


Hospital birth filings can take several weeks to upload to the state database. If you have a newborn less than 3 weeks old, please call first to ensure the certificate is available before placing an order.