Maternity & Infant Support (First Steps)
First Steps for new parents
Preparing to be a mom can be a bit overwhelming: Am I eating right? How will I get to my doctor appointments? Will I bond with my baby? There are so many questions.
The Snohomish Health District’s First Steps program focuses on supporting low-income women and babies during their first year, at no cost. You are eligible for help if you are receiving Medicaid.
Nurses, social workers, and dietitians help moms make healthy decisions about:
- Family planning
- Growth and development of your infant
- How to prepare for a new baby and what to expect as a new parent
- Where to find help in the community
- Where to go for prenatal care
Where to get Services
First Steps services are offered and provided at our Everett and Lynnwood WIC/First Steps clinics.
Everett WIC/First Steps Clinic
3020 Rucker Avenue
Everett, WA 98201
Lynnwood WIC/First Steps Clinic
6101 200th SW
Lynwood, WA 98036
First Steps benefits for moms & babies
Resources offered by the Snohomish Health District help mothers and children live healthy lives with:
- Prenatal care earlier in pregnancy
- Better access to pediatric (children's) health care
- Fewer babies born prematurely or with a low birth weight
- Healthier diets for mom and baby
- Normal childhood growth
- Higher immunization rates to protect against dangerous diseases.
Pregnant women & teens
Taking care of your baby starts before the baby is even born, by taking care of yourself during pregnancy.
Pregnancy is an exciting time, but it can also be stressful. Let the Snohomish Health District help you find the resources you need for a healthy pregnancy, including:
- Dental services
- Medical care
- Nutrition information and breastfeeding support
- Resources to help quit substance abuse (if needed)
- Teen pregnancy counseling
- Women, Infants, and Children (WIC) Nutrition Program to provide healthy food
- STD testing and hepatitis B immunizations for infants and sex partners of hepatitis B-positive women.