Influenza, more commonly called the flu, is a highly contagious respiratory illness. Flu seasons can be unpredictable and severe. Hospitalizations and deaths related to flu occur every year in Snohomish County, yet less than half of all adults get vaccinated yearly as recommended.
This year, getting the flu vaccine and taking other illness prevention measures are especially important. Reducing the spread of flu and the number of severe flu-related complications can help preserve capacity in our healthcare system to address the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Help keep yourself and your community healthy this year by:
- Staying home if you are ill
- Limiting your interaction with people outside your household
- Covering coughs and sneezes
- Washing your hands thoroughly with soap and water, and using hand sanitizer when soap and water isn't available
- Covering your mouth and nose with a cloth mask in shared spaces
- Getting a flu shot to protect again influenza