You are here : Waste  >  Garbage & Waste

Garbage & Waste

Snohomish Health District is involved in permitting and monitoring how garbage and other waste is handled in Snohomish County.

Garbage complaints

We investigate complaints concerning the following activities:

  • Uncontained putrescible garbage that attracts flies or rodents
  • Illegal dumping on private or public property without the owner's permission
  • Rat infestations due to uncontained garbage
  • Hazardous waste leaks, chemical or oil spills that pollute water or soil

When we receive a complaint we investigate the concern and work to resolve the issue with involved parties.

How to file a complaint

Contact the Health District by phone, email or HERE. Your name and phone number are kept confidential, but they help ensure we can do proper follow-up and investigation. Anonymous complaints may not be investigated.

Please be prepared to provide the following information:

  • What is the problem? Describe the type of nuisance and how often it happens
  • Where is the problem? Street address or cross streets, plus city and zip code
  • What kind of material is involved? What type of garbage or waste
  • How much is there?

Other complaints

Snohomish Health District does not investigate the following types of complaints. Please visit the partners linked below.

Junk on property or code violations. Please contact your city government or Snohomish County Code Enforcement, depending on where the property is located.

Air quality or burn ban enforcement. Please contact the Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Snohomish County and local fire districts issue burning permits.

Water quality issues regarding pollution and storm water. Please contact Snohomish County Surface Water Management for concerns in unincorporated county, or Washington State Department of Ecology.

Hazardous material spill or release. To report a spill of oil or hazardous materials, please contact your local fire department or the Washington State Department of Ecology. 

Pesticide complaints. Complaints related to human health are investigated by Washington State Department of Health. Please contact the Washington State Department of Agriculture for complaints involving pesticide use, misuse, drift, damage, storage, and disposal.

Garbage disposal and recycling facilities

Garbage must be disposed of at an approved Snohomish County Solid Waste Facility. See Snohomish County for a list of transfer stations.

Contact us

Safe Environments

3020 Rucker Ave., Suite 104
Everett, WA 98201


8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Monday through Friday

Did you know?
We received 426 complaints about garbage and waste in 2017.