Action requested: Submit appropriate specimens when mumps suspected.
The outbreak in King County has grown to include 31 cases (6 confirmed, 25 probable) with ten additional cases under investigation as of December 5. All cases identified to date have been residents of the Auburn area. No related cases have been identified in Snohomish County
- 20 of the 31 confirmed/probable cases are in children ages 1-17.
- 25 of 31 are up-to-date on MMR vaccine (2 children have not been vaccinated and 4 adults do not know if they have been vaccinated).
Outbreak information with case count is available at:
Contact the Health District (425-339-5278) for testing guidance when mumps is suspected. Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) testing (done at the Washington State Public Health Laboratory) depends on timing:
- On days 0-3 after onset of parotitis (date of onset is day 0), collect a buccal swab only.
- On days 4 – 10 after onset of parotitis (date of onset is day 0), collect both a buccal swab & urine.
- Contact the Health District before testing if more than 10 days has elapsed since onset of parotitis.
If serologic testing is desired, serum can generally be sent commercially; both IgM and IgG results should be requested. Note: Follow up to determine IgG results will be important for patients with unknown vaccination status, since a negative PCR cannot rule out mumps on a person previously exposed to mumps antigen, either by vaccination or previous infection.
Action requested: Make available to staff the updated poster of Washington State’s notifiable conditions.
Background & Recommendations
Updated posters are now publicly available on the Department of Health Website at http://www.doh.wa.gov/ForPublicHealthandHealthcareProviders/NotifiableConditions/ReportingPosters
You can find my recent health alerts posted on the Provider pages of our website, at http://www.snohd.org/Providers/Health-Alerts.
Gary Goldbaum, MD, MPH | Health Officer & Director | Administration
3020 Rucker Avenue, Ste 306 | Everett, WA 98201 | 425.339.5210 | email@example.com