Promoting the safe storage of firearms
What you can do to prevent gun violence
- Safely store your firearms. Find out the best way to lock up your guns and where you can purchase safe storage devices.
- Talk to family and friends about safe storage. Asking if guns are safely stored may save lives.
- Know the warning signs of suicide. Understand the risk of having an unlocked gun accessible to an at-risk individual and remove access.
Welcome to LOK-IT-UP
Our mission is to promote the safety of our communities through increasing safe storage of firearms. Here you will find information on:
- The importance of safe storage of firearms
- Safe storage device options
- How to practice safe storage in the home
- How to encourage the practice of safe storage in others
Did you know?
- In the United States, 38,658 people died in 2016 as a result of firearms. Of these firearm deaths, 59% were suicides (22,938 died) and 37% (14,415 died) were homicides.
- In Washington State, 20 children (age 17 or younger) died as a result of firearms in 2016. This is the equivalent of a child or teen being killed by gunfire every 18 days. An additional 30 children were hospitalized statewide. In Snohomish County, zero children died as a result of guns in 2016. Eight children were hospitalized in Snohomish County during this period.
- In 2016, an estimated 95,300 adults in Snohomish County reported keeping a firearm unlocked.
- The majority of gun deaths in the US were suicides and homicides. Of the 36,247 deaths nationally attributed to firearms in 2015, 75 percent were suicides.