Garbage & Waste

Snohomish Health District is involved in permitting and monitoring how garbage and other waste is handled in Snohomish County.

Garbage complaints

We investigate complaints concerning the following activities:

  • Uncontained putrescible garbage that attracts flies or rodents
  • Illegal dumping on private or public property without the owner's permission
  • Rat infestations due to uncontained garbage
  • Hazardous waste leaks, chemical or oil spills that pollute water or soil

When we receive a complaint we investigate the concern and work to resolve the issue with involved parties.

How to file a complaint

Contact the Health District by phone, email or online. Your name and phone number are kept confidential, but they help ensure we can do proper follow-up and investigation. Anonymous complaints may not be investigated.

Please be prepared to provide the following information:

  • What is the problem? Describe the type of nuisance and how often it happens
  • Where is the problem? Street address or cross streets, plus city and zip code
  • What kind of material is involved? What type of garbage or waste
  • How much is there?

Other complaints

Snohomish Health District does not investigate the following types of complaints. Please visit the partners linked below.

Garbage disposal & recycling facilities

Garbage must be disposed of at an approved Snohomish County Solid Waste Facility. See Snohomish County for a list of transfer stations.