Food Safety Program
In Snohomish County, our mission is to improve the health of individuals, families and communities through disease prevention, health promotion, and protection from environmental threats. Snohomish County has approximately 3500 permitted retail food establishments. The Food Program provides food safety education and inspections of those permitted facilities. Our priority is always education. We want to help the public understand their role in keeping food safe and the ways to do that.
The Food Program helps to lower the incidence of foodborne illness and injury through surveillance, inspection, education, assessment, enforcement, and plan reviews of retail food establishments. For more information on any of our services, click the icons below.
Snohomish Health District Food Advisory Committee
The Food Advisory Committee (FAC) meets once a quarter to review what is happening at the Snohomish Health District and in the Food Program. This is a chance for the food service industry to have input. We value your opinions and insights. Many of our decisions are guided by this committee. If you think you would like to join the committee, please email Leah Tax at firstname.lastname@example.org to indicate your interest and your background. We want to have a wide representation of industry participating on this committee, so there is no guarantee that everyone will be selected.
FAC Meeting Minutes
To review the most recent FAC meeting minutes, click here.
Each year food service establishments are nominated for excellence by their health district inspectors. These may be facilities that consistently meet or exceed food safety standards. They may be a facility that worked hard and took steps to improve. Members of the Food Advisory Committee review these nominations and help to choose the winner of each category. There are 6 categories; Full Menu Establishment, Fast Service Establishment, Limited Menu Establishment, Temporary Food Establishment, Large Grocery Chain, and School/Industrial/Institution Kitchen.
The 2019 Excellence Award winners
On behalf of the Snohomish Health District, thank you for making safe food handling practices a priority in your establishment! You have made a valuable contribution to the prevention of food-borne illnesses in Snohomish County.
Limited Menu Establishment
Gourmet Latte #10
Fast Food Establishment
Jugos Y Licuados Gavilanes
Full Service Establishment
Large Grocery Stores
Costco Wholesale #114
Snohomish County Corrections
Temporary Food Service
Ziegler’s Bratwurst Haus
Outside BUSINESS CONTACTS
- Washington State Department of Health Food Safety Program: Provides guidance services, including training and technical assistance to local health jurisdictions.
- Washington State Department of Agriculture (WSDA): Provides oversight of food products that are processed for wholesale distribution.
- Food and Drug Administration (FDA): Inspects manufactured foods and develops the FDA Model Food Code.
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA): Inspects all meat and poultry and related products.
- Washington State Liquor and Cannabis Board: Mission is to promote public safety and trust through fair administration and enforcement of liquor, cannabis, tobacco, and vapor laws.
- Washington State Department of Labor and Industries: L&I is a diverse state agency dedicated to the safety, health, and security of Washington's workers.
- Washington State Department of Revenue: Register with the Department of Revenue and get a business license.
- Snohomish County Planning and Development Services: Reviews zoning, permitting and land development.
- Snohomish County Fire Districts: Reviews and approval of land use and commercial building applications to assure that buildings are constructed in accordance with current fire and life safety code requirements.